For an aspiring university entrant who is also as passionate about environmental issues, obtaining a scholarship that is aligned with an organization that shares your personal advocacy can be quite a challenge. The more popular scholarship grants nowadays usually come from huge multinational corporations whose ecological advocacies are not wholly exercised.
But that’s where the misconception ends. In fact, there are thousands of eco-friendly organizations that also offer college scholarships for eco-minded students. So if you’re one of this crowd and would like some assistance to finish a rather expensive university degree, you’re in luck. A lot of groups and institutions are watching out for the next eco-minded student to grant awesome educational opportunities.
The most awesome scholarships for eco-minded students are, surprisingly, just right under our very noses. You may approach the following organizations and institutions for general scholarship opportunities.
The First Step: General Scholarships
1. The environmental divisions of the college or university where you are applying.
2. Civic organizations and local community groups
3. Major global environmental groups, like Greenpeace
4. Government agencies that focus on natural resource and environmental issues
5. Local and national science fairs and contests
6. Private business organizations and media outlets that support environmentalism
7. Organizations that advocate conservation
8. Waste and waste management firms
9. Charities that offer environmental programs
Here are more of the most awesome scholarships for eco-minded students (in no particular order).
10. Annie’s Homegrown Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship – Students engaged in food and agriculture related courses and study programs could be awarded around $2,500 to $10,000.
11. Ben Meadows Natural Resource Scholarship – This is open to junior and senior high school students interested in the likes of urban forestry, agro forestry, natural resource management, wildlife management, fisheries management, and other related subjects. The organization simultaneously awards two scholarships worth $2,500.
12. The Garden Club of America – Three $2,000 scholarships are offered to students who want to take up environmental studies during the summer.
13. The Switzer Foundation – Offers a $15,000 fellowship to graduate students already taking up environmental studies and would want to expand their range. Open to students from California and New England.
14. The Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship – Offers two $5,000 scholarships to students who advocate vegetarianism.
15. Beulah Frey Environment Scholarship – Offers an additional incentive of $1,000 through a contest among applicants who want to major in an environment-related subject.
16. Surfrider Foundation Scholarship – Offers three merit awards to students in good standing and who are already members of the foundation. One undergraduate gets $2,000, Masters level gets $3,000, while PhD gest $5,000.
17. Institute of Ecosystem Studies Research Experiences for Undergraduates – Offered to 8 to 12 undergrads who want to conduct research on an ecological topic. The program runs for 12 weeks, from May to August; and students are given a $4,800 stipend.
18. SCA Conservation Internship
19. NNEMS Fellowship Program – offers eco-students the opportunity to join in a fellowship project. It’s sponsored by the Environmental Education Division in the EPA Office of Childrens Health Protection and Environmental Education.
20. Brower Youth Awards – Named after environmentalist David Brower. Six young environment activitists are each awarded $3,000 plus a one-week gathering in San Francisco, to attend the Bioneers event and join an overnight backpacking event. Open to students 13-22 years old.
21. Morris K. Udall Scholarship – Offers $5,000 scholarships every year to 80 undergrads who are looking to enter environmental studies and native health care. Students will also be sent to Arizona for a one-week leadership conference.
22. Windstar Environmental Studies Scholarship – Founded by singer John Denver and Thomas Crum. Awards one $1,000 scholarship to a graduate student, and two $500 scholarships to undergrads (junior and senior students)
23. Dr. W. Wesley Eckenfelder Scholarship – Offers a $3,000 scholarship for environmental science, chemical, civil and environmental engineering students.
24. Middlebury Fellowship in Environmental Journalism – Awards $10,00 in reporting and board & lodging expenses to budding writers engaged in environmental writing, including face-to-face trainings and ongoing support throughout the year.
25. Nicodemus Wilderness Project Apprentice Ecologist Initiative – Offers $500 to 13 to 21 year old students upon completion of an apprentice ecologist project.
26. Blade Your Ride Scholarship – Offered to full-time undergrad and grad students at an accredited university or college in the US. One student will get $15,000, and two will get $5,000.
27. American Fisheries Society
28. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation – Called the Wildlife Leadership Awards, it covers a $2,000 scholarship, plus a one-year membership to the Elk Foundation.
29. American Ground Water Trust – Offers opportunities to college eco-students who wish to get into ground water studies
30. The Explorers Club – Awards $500 to $1500 to high school students and college undergrads.
31. National Wild Turkey Federation – Awards $250 to deserving students, who will then become eligible to compete for a $1,000 scholarship. The winners in their respective provinces compete for the national scholarship, worth $10,000.
32. Walt Disney Scholarship Fund – Awards $100,000 to grad students in conservation and environmental education.
33. United States Society on Dams – Awards $1,000 to $10,000 scholarships to deserving graduate-level students who have research studies relevant to dam-related topics.
34. American Nuclear Society – Awarded to engineering or science majors.
35. Snograss Memorial Research Award – Awards monetary grants to graduate students who are engaged in entomology, particularly arthropods, taxonomy, or evolution.
36. BioQuip Undergraduate Scholarship – Offers $2,000 to undergraduates who want to achieve a entomology degree or pursue a career as an entomologist
37. Jeffery P. LaFage Graduate Student Research Award
38. Stan Beck Fellowship – offered to graduate and undergraduate students entomology.
39. National Poultry & Food Distributors Association- Agriculture scholarships
40 Professional Soil Scientists Association
41. American Meteorological Society
42. Wisconsin Environmental Health Association
43. Florida Environmental Health Association
44. National Association of Geoscience Teachers, Far Western Section
45. North Carolina Association of Nurserymen
46. British Columbia Aboriginal Fisheries Commission
47. Perennial Plant Association Scholarship
48. Golden State Bonsai Federation (California)
49. American Indian Science & Engineering Society
50. American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society – Environmental Engineering
Scholarship Hunting For Eco-minded Students
With the multitude of eco-related scholarships for eco-students, choosing where to apply entails a major task ahead. Hopefully, with this list of 50 awesome scholarships for eco-minded students you’ll be able to narrow your choices down to find out which suits you best.